Big Little Lies and other shows returning in 2019
*This post is sponsored by Panasonic.
Who doesn’t love Netflix and chill, Amazon Prime and unwind, Now TV and… take it easy? I can’t wait to get a brand new TV for my house – I’ll be having a look the Panasonic Oled Televisions.
Sometimes my two passions (fashion and snuggling on the sofa) come together. I love watching stylish programmes that show off fashion eye-candy, like Gossip Girl, Sex and the City, 90210… And as only re-runs air now, the new show that filled the void in 2017 was the multi award-winning Big Little Lies. If you haven’t watched it yet I implore you to!
Alongside flawless acting, with a show starring Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, Alexander Skarsgård, Laura Dern and Zoe Kravitz, how could you not expect an impressive exhibition of fashion?
Entertaining with great storytelling and visual artistry and speaking meaningfully about the world we inhabit.
TV shows not to miss in 2019
Other TV shows returning in 2019 that I cannot wait for:
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Jake Peralta and Captain Holt never fail to make me literally laugh out loud. The world panicked when it was cancelled and wept with joy when it was picked up for season six by another network in the same day. What an emotional rollercoaster.
- Game of Thrones: if you’re not watching this epic, where have you been? Just everything about this show will have you on edge (once you’ve got your head around all the characters).
- Good Girls: hilarious and gripping, this is a cross between Bridesmaids and Breaking Bad.
- Black Mirror: creepier and creepier each season, you don’t want to look, but you can’t look away – whilst also being paranoid that you’re in an alternative universe where someone is watching you
[ If you’re a Game of Thrones fan, then why not check out this post Game of Threads: Fashion behind the thrones or this one on Daenerys’ style (promise you won’t be disappointed – I have photoshopped in a dragon!) ]
What NOT to watch
OMG I tried to watch Netflix’s new show (or bomb) Insatiable. Preparing myself for some black comedy and a harsh reflection on society’s perception of beauty… I was sorely disappointed.
I don’t even recommend this show for the laughs. Because there are none.
It tries so hard to be funny and slick… but it doesn’t succeed. It could’ve been good.
But, a show that uses the line ‘skinny is magic’ in all seriousness without a hint of underlying sarcastic commentary is not a show clever enough to pull off what they’re trying to do.
Don’t worry, it’s not just me who thinks this – it received mostly bad reviews.
Anyway, enough of that rubbish! Let’s move on…
Why you should watch Big Little Lies
- Have you not read the list of stars in the show? Alexander Skarsgård. Reese Witherspoon. Alexander Skarsgård. Nicole Kidman and… Alexander Skarsgård.
- They touch upon hard topics that need more awareness, for example, domestic abuse.
- It’s multi award-winning – too many awards to count!
- The wardrobes!
- Beautiful music.
- Beautiful scenery.
- A look into frienships and relationships.
- Tough reflection on society and its obsession with perfection and image.
Big Little Lies: New Wardrobe Envy
I love Reese’s character in Big Little Lies, Madeline Martha Mackenzie. She’s firey, takes control, loyal, will do anything for her friends and sometimes fucks up but isn’t afraid to admit it.
Her style is very clean and put-together and always feminine. I noticed that she is a lover of a Dolce & Gabbana dress too – a designer which I have just posted about (wink wink).
In the season one finale, the women all dress like Audrey Hepburn characters for a party (as you do) and Madeline dresses as Holly Golightly in her pjs.
You know we’re all about that pjs-as-outerwear trend, so I’m totally stealing that Reese-as-Madeline-as-Audrey-as-Holly look! (Wow it’s fashion inception)
This look cost me like £9! lol
Bruises heal, stigmas can last a lifetime.
– Madeline Martha Mackenzie
The costume department may have dressed Reese in an oversized Céline shirt, but, I went one better and got this beautiful white peplum shirt dress from Asos for a toal of £3, once I used my student discount and my £15 Asos rewards voucher – #winning.
I decided not to go full-on with an eye mask, like Reese’s, (fun fact: the costume designer bought the actual one worn on the show from Etsy!) but in stead, I took it as inspiration and went for something more wearable like a twisted head-wrap.
I got this one from Claire’s Accessories, random, as I have not set foot in that shop since I was 12, but heads up – if you need a handband they have loooooads of choice in there! They’re perfect for keeping hair off your face on holiday!
“Sometimes I’m just holding onto this idea of perfection so tight, something has to give.”
Top tip: get costume earrings from eBay!
These cost around £3 (you know Zara be charging £15), they came the next day and the quality is pretty good so far!
Madeline is often seen in feminine floral A-line dresses with a little cardigan. Definitely stuff I wear on holiday. Probably all the time if I lived by the beach like her…
By the way, shout out to all the Instagram boyfriends out there – thank you Daniel for your photography and willingness to follow me to various places and hold up a blanket whilst I change in a park!
You can go fuck yourself on the head.
– Madeline Martha Mackenzie
I hope you enjoyed this. What do you think of my attempt at Madeline’s look? Let me know in the comments if you watched or are going to watch any of the TV shows I mentioned in the comments and if you have any recommendations!